Dalston Superstore / Jam Factory / London
- CD vs CD – I Really Do Believe (White)
From the day I picked it up it was utterly impossible NOT to play this at every single gig. Beautiful and pumping in equal measure this always got people a) dancing and b) demanding to know what the hell it was… I’m fully preparing for it to be utterly inescapable for most of 2012
- Murk – Amame (Nervous)
Pure voodoo. Hypnotic and pounding this sends people bonkers from the moment the baseline drops, then that vocal gets totally lodged in people’s brains after one listen… “Come to me when you’re ready!!” etc. Massive.
- Billie Ray Martin & Hard Ton – Fantasy Girl (Disco Activisco)
A sublimely jacking tribute to a Chicago classic with Bille Ray Martin’s peerless vocals lending an amazingly ethereal quality to this banger.
- Maurice Donovan – Call My Name (White)
More analogue adventures with a brilliant array of 808 grooves and a totally infectious and unrelenting vocal hook.
- Italo Johnson – #4 (Italo Johnson)
A colossal force to be reckoned with on any dancefloor – an earthquaking 909 workout, a huge stabby riff and eventually my favourite wobbly-wobbly acid moment of the year.
Teddiedrum / Ghent
- favorite songs:
Saâda Bonaire – You Could Be More As You Are
Sebastian Cabot- Like A Rolling Stone
Y Pants- That’s The Way Boys Are
Metronomy- The Bay
Ozdemir Erdogan – Karaoglan Almanya’da
- favorite websites:
- favorite movie: The Holy Mountain
- favorite book: Dictionary of American Slang – Barbara Ann Kipfer
- favorite animal: Crab
Catclub / Black Out/ Brussels
1. The birth of Black Out!
I am so excited to have given a little sister to Catclub and it seems that a lot of people were also waiting for a new eclectic party. We’re a happy family now!
Check the pictures of the last Black Out with Nomi Ruiz and Baris K on our website : www.catclub.be
2. Natural Elements compilation
By chance I recently rediscovered one of my all time favorite compilations, dating from 1992 when I started clubbing. 20 years later I still find it inspiring!
Because it’s X-mas, I uploaded it on my Soundcloud page. Enjoy!
3. Tauba Auerbach
I discovered this young American artist this year and I must say, I am a huge fan of her work.
You can have a look at her latest exhibition at the following link :
4. Le Salon
The launch of my girlfriend’s new project : Le Salon, an online platform aimed at presenting, documenting and reflecting on the Brussels contemporary art scene.
Brilliant : http://welcometolesalon.be/
Best new restaurant in town. No nonsense, just great food, excellent wine and friendly staff.
Rue Lesbroussart 48, 1050 Brussels / http://neptuneresto.com/
22 Tracks / FMBrussel / Brussels
1. Favorite tv-show of 2011: vimeo.com & youtube
All hail to the power of the iPad and online television. Forget channels, networks, traditional broadcasters. Online video creativity is my new television.
2. Trend of the year: Music streaming & vinyl revival. Love my vinyl. Love 22tracks.com.
3. Best thing seen on stage this year: Matthew Herbert’s One Pig tour sampling the sound of a pig’s lifetime in one record and stage performance. At the end a local cook nicely prepared a local dish. In Brussels that was ‘Stoemp’ with porc. Lovely performance.
4. Producers of the year: About Group, MCDE, FLC, San Soda, Mark E, Dan Snaith, Recloose, Benoit&Sergio, Frits Wentink, Kolsch, Storm Queen, Julio Bashmore. Listen here to my best of 2011 mix http://www.mixcloud.com/koengalle/fm-brussel-show-23122011-best-of-2011/
5. Still sad he is dead in 2011: Arthur Russell
Lucabattles.com / Sidney
- i love type series books – so beautiful that i had to stop looking at them or i was going to cry
- xhin’s 2011 album ‘sword’ – one of my best friends releases one of the best albums i have heard in a long time
- fenton the dog (haha) – have you seen this? haha
- the document, singapore – xhin, myself, and a few other friends work together as a techno and design collective, we do parties and hopefully soon this will turn into a kind of record label
- tom waits: bad as me album